Honoring the Elderly: A Christian’s Duty to Aging Parents
In Honoring the Elderly, author and Presbyterian minister Brian L. De Jong combines biblical insights with practical advice for eldercare. His work shows you both the importance and the realities of caring for your aging parents or other loved ones.
De Jong recognized the need for Honoring the Elderly after speaking with the adult Sunday school class at his church. Many families had elderly parents who needed help but didn’t know how to begin such an enormous undertaking. De Jong hopes that his work can illuminate the biblical teachings and prepare caregivers to manage the day-to-day practicalities of taking care of aging loved ones. He covers the following:
- The challenge issued by the fifth commandment
- The examples the Bible gives of eldercare
- The team approach to caring for aging family members
- The issues that come with retirement, illness, and mental decline
- The tricks to dealing with difficult parents
- The spiritual side of aging
- The intricacies of ethical decision making
- The pros and cons of assisted living homes
- The importance of preparing for loss and achieving closure
With insightful questions at the end of each section, Honoring the Elderly is a valuable resource for couples, families, and classes discussing eldercare.